Healthy Vegan Soup Recipe
Lentil & Quinoa Tomato Soup
By Brenda Morales
This tasty and nutritious vegan soup recipe is loaded with protein and fiber; perfect meal for the holidays.
Ready in approximately 55 minutes
• 1 cup lentils, rinsed and cooked
• ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked
• 1 (28 oz) can organic diced tomatoes
• 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
• 2 ½ cups water
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• ½ cup celery, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• Pinch of turmeric
• Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
• Optional: Chopped parsley for garnish
1. In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and spinach. Saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
2. Add turmeric, cumin and garlic, cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
3. Add in lentils, broth, water, sea salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a gentle boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add quinoa, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Once done, remove from heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes, and season to taste.
5. Serve and enjoy! (Optional: Garnish soup with chopped parsely)