Healthy foods – gratitude, appreciation, self love and love of others, laughter, joy, mindfulness
Unhealthy foods – self doubt, judgement, fear, anticipation, anger, hatred
Healthy Foods for the Soul:
1. Gratitude is an expression of thankful appreciation for the benefits that one has received or will receive. Wallace Wattles in his 1910 book, The Science of Getting Rich, wrote “The Grateful mind is constantly fixed upon the best; therefore it tends to become the best; it takes the form or character of the best, and will receive the best. Faith is born of gratitude. The grateful mind continually expects good things and expectation becomes faith.” Nourish yourself with gratitude by stating 5 things you are grateful for each day before you rise out of bed.
2. Appreciation is the recognition of the quality, value, and significance of all things, no matter how seemingly small. It is noticing the gentle breeze, the faint smile, the fragrant scent, the sharp pungent taste, the silence and recognizing the full value of each moment of life and all that life has to offer. Nourish yourself with appreciation by being present in the moment, appreciating all your senses and allowing nature and your surroundings to fill your very being.
3. Love is an intense emotional feeling, a core human need that takes many forms. Self love is equally important as love of others. It is human nature to take good care of the things we love. We treasure them as valued possessions. To truly love others, however, we must love ourselves first. Nourish yourself by finding things every day to love about yourself. Then show ways to say I love you to the rest of those you love.
4. Laughter relaxes muscles and releases tension. It causes physiological changes that have been compared to a mild workout. It increases blood flow and improves sleep, making it easier for your physical body to restore itself. Nourish yourself by finding reasons for laughter in even the most insignificant occasion. Don’t be afraid to get silly. It’s good for your soul.
5. Joy means finding something worth celebrating in everything you do. It is goal-oriented and positive. You may have prepared a particularly satisfying and delicious meal for your family, your child may have shared a lovely, poignant drawing, or you may have simply looked out the window and been inspired by a beautiful sunset. Nourish yourself by finding something joyful to celebrate out of your day before you go to bed each night.
On the other hand, there are unhealthy foods that diminish and damage the soul, wearing down the protective mind portal. These foods are powerful, but not as powerful as those that nourish.
Unhealthy Foods that Diminish and Damage the Soul:
1. Self doubt is the inner voice that says, “I can’t; I’m not good enough, smart enough, or pretty enough. I don’t know how!” Self doubt is insidious in its nature. It destroys hope, imagination, and dreams. These feelings of inadequacy were often instilled into the very fabric of our beings long before we were able to develop strong cohesive thoughts of our own, often from our upbringing. Nourish yourself against self doubt by acting without worrying about the whys. Trust in the absence of evidence and stay present without allowing the past to taint or infect the moment.
2. Judgement – “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” Carl Jung. We may judge others, but we often turn a more harsh judgement on ourselves. Constant judgement and criticism will wear your soul down. Accept that you are human. We all make mistakes. Be compassionate and forgiving towards yourself.
3. Stress. This is a difficult one, because it is so often outside of your control. You may not always be able to control stress itself, but you can control how you deal with it. Stress tears away bits of your soul. It causes the release of cortisol, which provides short-term immediate energy but compromises the immune system in the long term. When you are under stress, pay particular attention to the need to nourish your soul with good foods. Try to look beyond the moment. You may be beaten down, but you started from a standing position and can get there again. Do not feed stress. Feed a calm spirit of acceptance.
4. Fear and insecurity. We live in a fearful world. People feel the need to protect themselves and often let that fear eclipse common sense. Your neighbors feel the same way you do. We are in this together. Focus on things that build confidence and security, rather than those that make you fearful. Work together on things that build confidence. Find something that makes you feel strong and make it your touchstone.
5. Anger and Hatred. Anger builds up and feeds hatred. It can be directed towards self and towards others. Either way, it is toxic. Anger will eat your soul and destroy any nourishment you have provided. It increases anxiety, raises blood pressure, causes headaches, and can impede healthy circulation. It causes the release of damaging stomach acid and can interfere with breathing. Anger can kill you. When angry and hateful feelings start to fill you up, breathe slowly and focus. Access your quiet, peaceful inner soul and push the anger back from the door.
At the Holistic Healing Heart Center, Doctor Cynthia and her team of holistic primary care physicians provide one-stop shopping for all your health care needs. They provide primary care services and progressive heart disease treatment as well as integrative lifestyle programs to help you stay healthy and age gracefully.Often described as one of the best Los Angeles heart specialists, Dr. Cynthia is a holistic cardiologist and functional medicine doctor who will listen to you; ask questions about your lifestyle, environmental exposures, and genetic influences that may impact your health; and then provide thoughtful treatment recommendations, as described below.
- Preventive treatments including traditional, alternative, and naturopathic (acupuncture, homeopathy) remedies for medical conditions and heart disease.
- Wellness training including nutrition, weight loss, lifestyle management, and mindfulness.
- Rejuvenation services including iv nutritional therapy (Myers cocktail iv drip), bioidentical hormone therapy, non-invasive facial and cellulite laser treatment, non-surgical fat removal, SculpSure body contouring, and other aesthetics services.
As an experienced and trusted holistic primary care physician, functional medicine doctor and naturopathic cardiologist, Dr. Cynthia has been providing whole person health care to the residents of Burbank, Valencia, greater Los Angeles, and Southern California communities for more than 20 years.
In 2019, she is pleased to be joined by Dr. Barbara Rush, a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist, who specializes in Chelation & iv nutritional therapy, Anti-Aging, Environmental Medicine, Fertility and Natural Hormone Balance, all using the original Functional Medicine approach. Since 2005, DR. Rush has been in clinical practice, helping people with holistic and alternative medicine. Dr. Rush combines eclectic healing arts, steeped in ancient wisdom with the best evidence-based science to achieve balanced health for her patients. She takes the time to listen to patients, treating every person as individual so they receive a customized treatment plan that works best for them. Dr. Rush has joined the Holistic Healing Heart Center and is providing the best naturopathic medicine near me.
Call 818-842-1410 today to learn how the Holistic Healing Heart Center can help you prevent disease, stay healthy, and age gracefully.