Bee pollen is a natural food used as holistic remedy throughout the world. Bee pollen has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for many years as a fix for increasing energy, reducing cravings, improving digestion and building the blood iron stores in the blood.
What Is Pollen?
Bee pollen is made by honeybees and is the food of the young bee. It is considered a superfood and one of nature’s most completely nourishing foods. Bee pollen is high in protein (approximately 40% protein), as well as other antioxidants, free amino acids, and vitamins, including B-complex and folic acid.
Pollen is a complete food as it contains nearly all nutrients required by humans. In fact, bee pollen actually contains many elements that products of animal origin do not possess. Bee pollen is richer in proteins than any animal source and it contains more amino acids than beef, eggs, or cheese of equal weight. Approximately half of its protein in bee pollen is in the form of free amino acids, which are ready to be used directly by the body.
Benefits of Bee Pollen
Bee pollen contains all the essential components of life and is considered an energy and nutritive tonic by many cultures throughout the world. Here are some great reasons to add fresh bee pollen to your daily diet:
- Energy Enhancer – The huge range of nutrients found within bee pollen makes it a great natural energizer. The carbohydrates, protein and B vitamins in bee pollen can help keep you going all day long by enhancing stamina and improving endurance and vitality.
- Improves Digestive Function – Bee pollen contains enzymes that can aid in digestion. Enzymes assist your body in getting all the nutrients you need from the food that you eat.
- Weight Control – Bee pollen works wonders in weight-control or weight-loss programs. Bee pollen stimulates the metabolic processes and can help speed calories burned.
- Immune System Booster – Pollen is good for the intestinal flora and thereby supports the immune system. According to holistic health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It’s also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals.
- Treats Allergies – Pollen reduces the presence of histamine, improving many allergies. Studies show that patients who were treated with oral feeding of pollen resulted completely free from allergy symptoms once treated. Everything from asthma to allergies to sinus problems were
- Beauty Benefits – When bee pollen is included daily in the diet, it not only gives you the glow of health but it also helps to smooth, soothe, and rejuvenate your skin. The amino acids and vitamins protect the skin and aid the regeneration of cells.The skin becomes younger-looking, less vulnerable to wrinkles, smoother, and healthier with the use of honeybee pollen.
- Supports the Cardiovascular System –Bee Pollen contains large amounts of Rutin; an antioxidant bioflavonoid that helps strengthen capillaries, blood vessels, assists with circulatory problems and corrects cholesterol levels. Its potent anti-clotting powers could help prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Infertility Problems –Bee pollen stimulates and restores ovarian function, therefore may be used to assist in accelerating pregnancy.
How Should You Take Bee Pollen?
Bee pollen is a food and acts more effectively when taken at mealtimes and especially combined with fruit.
Start gradually (½ tsp.) a day and work your way up to 1-3 tablespoons by the end of four weeks. Consider adding a spoonful of bee pollen at breakfast, preferably taken with a piece of fruit to enhance the activity of the fresh pollen.
If you think you might have sensitivity to pollen or a history of hay fever, try this simple test. Place a few granules in your mouth and wait 2 minutes. If you experience no symptoms (watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing), chew slowly and swallow. Wait another 24 hours and monitor your body for any symptoms. If you don’t experience any, gradually increase as stated above.
Always buy local to ensure you’re building up an immunity to the plants in your area. Ask your farmer, or look for a label that states it is mold and pesticide free. Also, try to get a bottle with a variety of colors to make sure they come from different plants, which improves the bee pollen’s nutrient profile.
Store your fresh bee pollen in the refrigerator — sunlight and heat can destroy bee pollen’s nutrient value. It should keep well for up to a year if stored properly.
Important note: If you have a history of anaphylactic shock or highly allergic to bee stings, it’s best to avoid bee pollen. Also, bee pollen may cause increased bleeding if taken with certain blood thinners like warfarin. If you’re pregnant, breast-feeding, or on blood thinners, please check with your doctor before consuming.
At the Holistic Healing Heart Center, Doctor Cynthia and her team of holistic primary care physicians provide one-stop shopping for all your health care needs. They provide primary care services and progressive heart disease treatment as well as integrative lifestyle programs to help you stay healthy and age gracefully.
Often described as one of the best Los Angeles heart specialists, Dr. Cynthia is a holistic cardiologist and functional medicine doctor who will listen to you; ask questions about your lifestyle, environmental exposures, and genetic influences that may impact your health; and then provide thoughtful treatment recommendations, as described below.
- Preventive treatments including traditional, alternative, and naturopathic (acupuncture, homeopathy) remedies for medical conditions and heart disease.
- Wellness training including nutrition, weight loss, lifestyle management, and mindfulness.
- Rejuvenation services including iv nutritional therapy (Myers cocktail), bioidentical hormone therapy, non-invasive facial and cellulite laser treatment, non-surgical fat removal, SculpSure body contouring, Botox injections and dermal filler injections.
As an experienced and trusted holistic primary care physician, functional medicine doctor and naturopathic cardiologist, Dr. Cynthia has been providing whole person health care to the residents of Burbank, Valencia, greater Los Angeles, and Southern California communities for more than 20 years.
Call 818-842-1410 today to learn how the Holistic Healing Heart Center can help you prevent disease, stay healthy, and age gracefully.