It is the gloomiest holiday statistic, but Christmas and New Year’s are on the top list of dangerous days for heart-attack deaths and cardiovascular problems.
“Research shows that cardiovascular deaths increase about 18 percent during the winter season,” says Harvard-trained cardiologist Cynthia Thaik, M.D. There are several factors during the holiday season that seem to be hard on the heart and cause you to become more susceptible to chest pain, racing heart rates, heart-attacks or sadly even death.
The added stress of the holiday season combined with colder weather, shorter and darker days, being indoors more often, and all of the rich holiday foods and drinks play a huge role in increasing a person’s risk of cardiac problems during the winter.
Research shows that heart attacks are more deadly in the winter time regardless of the area you live in. It is not the cold climate alone that can kill you, even though the cold weather can make blood vessels constrict causing blood pressure to rise and the heart to work harder.
The risk of cardiovascular problems is greater this time of year due to a combination of all factors mentioned above, which all of us experience during the holidays. Therefore, here are some strategies for you and your loved ones to stay healthy this winter season:
- Get a flu shot, if you haven’t already. Recent research shows that getting a flu shot can reduce a person’s risk of heart problems by as much as 50 percent.
- Keep warm. Wear layers of clothes when you step outside to help keep warm, remember that the cold weather can make your blood vessels constrict.
- Don’t forget your medications. Several people tend to slack off on their medications during the holidays. Make sure you continue following your existing medication regimen.
- Maintain good habits. With all the holiday celebrations and rich foods everywhere make sure you keep good eating habits and regular exercise routine.
- Don’t be an early bird! Several people may try to get up earlier to try and start their day since it gets dark out sooner. However, Thaik suggests keeping early morning activities to a minimum during the winter because the heart takes time to warm up.
- Never ignore warning signs. Even if it’s Christmas Day make sure to never ignore warning signs of a heart attack.
At the Holistic Healing Heart Center, Doctor Cynthia and her team of holistic primary care physicians provide one-stop shopping for all your health care needs. They provide primary care services and progressive heart disease treatment as well as integrative lifestyle programs to help you stay healthy and age gracefully.Often described as one of the best Los Angeles heart specialists, Dr. Cynthia is a holistic cardiologist and functional medicine doctor who will listen to you; ask questions about your lifestyle, environmental exposures, and genetic influences that may impact your health; and then provide thoughtful treatment recommendations, as described below.
- Preventive treatments including traditional, alternative, and naturopathic (acupuncture, homeopathy) remedies for medical conditions and heart disease.
- Wellness training including nutrition, weight loss, lifestyle management, and mindfulness.
- Rejuvenation services including iv nutritional therapy (Myers cocktail iv drip), bioidentical hormone therapy, non-invasive facial and cellulite laser treatment, non-surgical fat removal, SculpSure body contouring, and other aesthetics services.
As an experienced and trusted holistic primary care physician, functional medicine doctor and naturopathic cardiologist, Dr. Cynthia has been providing whole person health care to the residents of Burbank, Valencia, greater Los Angeles, and Southern California communities for more than 20 years.
In 2019, she is pleased to be joined by Dr. Barbara Rush, a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist, who specializes in Chelation & iv nutritional therapy, Anti-Aging, Environmental Medicine, Fertility and Natural Hormone Balance, all using the original Functional Medicine approach. Since 2005, DR. Rush has been in clinical practice, helping people with holistic and alternative medicine. Dr. Rush combines eclectic healing arts, steeped in ancient wisdom with the best evidence-based science to achieve balanced health for her patients. She takes the time to listen to patients, treating every person as individual so they receive a customized treatment plan that works best for them. Dr. Rush has joined the Holistic Healing Heart Center and is providing the best naturopathic medicine near me.
Call 818-842-1410 today to learn how the Holistic Healing Heart Center can help you prevent disease, stay healthy, and age gracefully.