Are you feeling tired or sluggish? Do you find yourself constantly in need of a pick-me-up? There are many ways we can boost our energy throughout the day. But reaching for an energy drink or Coca-Cola is not the answer. Dr. Cynthia, holistic cardiologist, says that opting for sugar laden, chemical and caffeine filled drinks will only give you a short, unnatural burst of energy, wearing down your adrenal glands and contributing to serious long-term health problems.
Research confirms that caffeine-heavy energy drinks can increase blood pressure and disturb heart rhythm, particularly in people who already have heart disease. The primary cause of serious health problems from energy drinks is the high concentrations of caffeine. According to one study, 19 percent of college student who used energy drinks had experienced palpitations.
The risks associated with energy drinks are believed to be higher for people who have existing medical conditions, such as heart defects or certain heart conditions. People with hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy should not have caffeine or other stimulants, as they may increase the risk of irregular heart rhythms, high blood pressure, and sudden death from cardiac arrest.
Be sure to track all of your dietary sources of caffeine. While one or two cups of coffee may not create serious problems for healthy individuals, combining multiple sources of caffeine and high concentrations could potentially lead to serious health issues.
So instead of reaching for an energy drink or soda, why not give your body a natural energy boost. Try the following natural energy booster drinks. They’ll have you powering through your day without an energy crash!
1. Water. Consuming water is the easiest and most natural way to boost energy. It seems so simple, but most of us don’t get enough water. Dehydration can drain your energy, alter your mood, and slow your metabolism down. If you find plain water too boring, add lemon, lime, or cucumber for some extra flavor.
2. Yerba Mate Tea: Very high in antioxidants and known as an overall healing drink. It is packed with vitamins A, C, E, B-1, B-2 and B-complex, calcium, iron, magnesium, amino acids and silicon. Yerba mate is also known to aid in weight loss, improve mental awareness and naturally increase energy.
3. Drink a green juice: For example, try juicing kale, lettuce, green apple, ginger, lemon and garlic. Green vegetables are rich in chlorophyll that oxygenates the blood. Oxygenated blood helps to increase your energy levels and make your brain sharper!
4. Matcha Green Tea: Matcha is made from green tea leaves that contain L-Theanine and a small amount of naturally occurring caffeine (less than coffee!), both providing energy-boosting effects. It helps to invigorate your metabolism gently lifting you without any energy slumps! Combine 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of organic pure maple syrup and 2 teaspoons of matcha powder. Mix well and enjoy hot or cold.
5. Green Tea: While it does have caffeine, green tea boosts your energy without the jitters that can come after consuming other more highly caffeinated beverages. The aromatic drink is loaded with an amino acid called L-theanine, and it offers a long list of health benefits. It may even lower your risk of heart disease, Parkinson’s disease, and cancer.
6. Protein Smoothie: Combining protein, healthy fats and slow-releasing sugars give you a sustained energy release. Try also adding greens to your smoothie to boost your chlorophyll intake. For example, combine ½ a banana, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1 tablespoon of vegan protein powder, ½ cup of kale, ¼ cup coconut yogurt, ½ tablespoon flax seeds, ½ tablespoon hemp seeds, and ¾ cup of nut or coconut milk.
7. Coconut water: Get all the energy-boosting effects of coconut water without a ton of added sugars. Limit yourself to two servings of coconut water per day. Drink it in the morning for some extra energy or to rehydrate you after a long night’s sleep and/or drink it in the afternoon to get you out of a slump or after working out to replenish lost electrolytes.
At the Holistic Healing Heart Center, Doctor Cynthia and her team of holistic primary care physicians provide one-stop shopping for all your health care needs. They provide primary care services and progressive heart disease treatment as well as integrative lifestyle programs to help you stay healthy and age gracefully.
Often described as one of the best Los Angeles heart specialists, Dr. Cynthia is a holistic cardiologist and functional medicine doctor who will listen to you; ask questions about your lifestyle, environmental exposures, and genetic influences that may impact your health; and then provide thoughtful treatment recommendations, as described below.
- Preventive treatments including traditional, alternative, and naturopathic (acupuncture, homeopathy) remedies for medical conditions and heart disease.
- Wellness training including nutrition, weight loss, lifestyle management, and mindfulness.
- Rejuvenation services including iv nutritional therapy (Myers cocktail), bioidentical hormone therapy, non-invasive facial and cellulite laser treatment, non-surgical fat removal, SculpSure body contouring, Botox injections and dermal filler injections.
As an experienced and trusted holistic primary care physician, functional medicine doctor and naturopathic cardiologist, Dr. Cynthia has been providing whole person health care to the residents of Burbank, Valencia, greater Los Angeles, and Southern California communities for more than 20 years.
Call 818-842-1410 today to learn how the Holistic Healing Heart Center can help you prevent disease, stay healthy, and age gracefully.