Good heart health is important at all stages of life. Heart disease continues to be one of the leading causes of death in our country. At the Holistic Healing Heart Center we’re doing our part to help patients achieve optimal heart health through a variety of holistic treatments, based on functional medicine.
What Is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is a systems-based approach that focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease. Each symptom or differential diagnosis may be one of many contributing to an individual’s illness.
Functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease. It seeks to answer the question, “Why are you ill?” so you can receive personalized, effective care for your needs. It addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. The key is knowing when it’s time to see a functional cardiologist.
What Are the Signs That You Need to Contact a Functional Cardiologist?
A functional cardiologist specializes in assessing and managing heart conditions through a holistic and integrative approach, focusing on lifestyle modifications, nutrition, and exercise, in addition to traditional medical treatments. If you’re wondering whether you should contact a functional cardiologist, here are some signs that might indicate it’s a good idea:
- If you have a family history of heart attacks, it’s best to see a functional cardiologist. Having a family health history of heart disease makes you more likely to develop heart disease yourself. In some cases, having family members with heart disease at a young age (age 50 or younger) can be a sign of familial hypercholesterolemia, a genetic disorder that causes high cholesterol. A functional cardiologist will guide you through reviewing your family history and identifying tests that help determine your risk of heart disease. These tests include low HDL cholesterol, high Lp(a) cholesterol, serum ferritin, homocysteine, and fibrinogen.
- If you have heart symptoms, such as chest pain, syncope (unexplained fainting) or shortness of breath, it’s best to contact a cardiologist as soon as possible.
- If you’re a man older than 40, or a woman older than 45, and starting a brand-new exercise program, we recommend going to a cardiologist for a stress test to rule out any undiscovered heart issues.
Why Should You Choose a Functional Medicine Doctor?
Choosing a functional medicine doctor for cardiology can offer a unique approach to addressing heart health issues. Functional medicine is a patient-centered and holistic approach to healthcare that aims to identify and address the root causes of health problems rather than just treating the symptoms.
The main benefit of choosing functional medicine doctors in Los Angeles is that they don’t just write prescriptions that could cause other health issues. Instead, they focus on natural, integrative medicine and they understand the power of taking a holistic approach to your health.
It’s important to work with a naturopathic cardiologist who treats the whole person. Unfortunately, the sad fact is that mainstream cardiologists tend to treat the heart, and any physical issues, without addressing the emotional issues of the patient. Functional cardiology emphasizes prevention as a primary strategy. By identifying and addressing risk factors and imbalances early on, you can reduce the likelihood of developing serious heart conditions. Instead of simply managing symptoms, functional medicine doctors aim to uncover the underlying root causes of cardiovascular issues.
Fortunately, holistic cardiologists who practice functional medicine treat the physical issues, nutrition, emotions, and any other factors that are contributing to your heart problems. Finding a compassionate holistic heart doctor who is interested in you is the best way to ensure that you get the best cardiology care available.
How to Find the Best Functional Cardiologist in Los Angeles or Burbank
Los Angeles is known for its diverse population, fast-paced lifestyle, and focus on wellness and alternative therapies. As Angelenos prioritize comprehensive well-being, functional cardiology resonates by offering tailored strategies that address the interconnected factors influencing heart health in a city that is known as one of the most stressful in the world. When considering a functional cardiologist, pay attention to your patient experience:
- During your first visit, notice if he or she looks you directly in the eye and handles you in a caring way during the exam.
- Does he or she smile and appear to be connecting with you and your issues?
- Does he or she inspire you to take care of yourself?
- If you have any requests about your care, is the doctor willing to be flexible and partner with you on your requests?
Ultimately, the best holistic heart doctor will educate and empower you to keep your heart happy and your whole body healthy and balanced. By guiding you through nutrition, exercise, stress management, and mindful practices, they equip you with the tools needed to not only address current concerns but also foster a sustainable foundation for a heart-healthy future. This collaborative approach resonates deeply in a world where individuals seek proactive ways to take charge of their health, ensuring not only a happy heart but also a balanced and vibrant life.
Learn more about your heart health and staying fit from Dr. Cynthia Thaik, MD, our top holistic heart doctor and functional medicine doctor in Los Angeles. Give our office a call to make an appointment. For even more heart health tips, check out Dr. Cynthia’s book, Your Vibrant Heart: Restoring Health, Strength, and Spirit from the Body’s Core.