What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct form of primary health care. Its philosophy is to seek prevention through lifestyle management that implements natural therapies which support the body’s ability and desire to return to optimal health. It is the most comprehensive form of medicine available as it combines the study of the allopathic/conventional sciences (what medical doctors and Doctors of Osteopathy use) with the natural and alternative therapies that treat from the “Root Cause” perspective of healing.
Naturopathic Medicine is practiced by state licensed Naturopathic Doctors (ND’s). Naturopathic medicine has foundational philosophies.
- First, Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere): Naturopathic doctors treat by using protocols which minimize the risk of side effects, avoid suppression of symptoms, and respect and cooperate with the body’s ability to self-heal.
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae): Naturopathic medicine teaches that health can be obtained when obstacles to health are removed.
- Identify and Treat the Cause (Tolle Causam): Treating the underlying cause of imbalance is the philosophy of Naturopathic Medicine versus using methods that suppress symptoms.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere): Naturopathic doctors encourage and empower patients, through education, to be responsible for their own health, while maintaining the potential of a healthy doctor-patient relationship.
- Treat the Whole Person: Naturopathic doctors recognize that each patient is uniquely different from another. That is why they take into consideration their physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, and spiritual attributes before creating an individualized treatment plan.
- Prevention: Naturopathic doctors help patients by empowering them to learn to prevent illness in the first place, when possible
What is a Naturopathic Doctor?
With the current epidemic of chronic disease, many patients are seeking a more comprehensive and sensible approach to obtaining and remaining healthy. Naturopathic Doctors are trained at accredited, four year, post graduate, residential naturopathic medical schools. They are trained to address the underlying reason why health has deviated from optimal. Their aim is not to suppress symptoms, but rather to ease the burden of a body in distress by using non toxic, natural substances in safe and effective protocols.
Naturopathic Doctors get training that is very similar and comparable to that of their traditional counterparts. Their education also includes certain subjects that are not found in conventional medical schools, like Diet, Food Science, and Nutrition along with our health’s relationship to spirit – and more. This combination offers a comprehensive, well-rounded approach to medicine, natural healing and optimal health. Naturopathic Doctors are trained to practice as a solo practitioner, or co-manage, collaborate, and coordinate care with other specialists in the medical field. Prescriptions given by an Naturopathic Doctor can be individualized and may include detoxification +/or cleansing protocols, herbal formulations, nutraceuticals, physical medicine, IV therapies, Chelation therapy, Glutathione therapy, dietary and lifestyle counseling, nutrition and nutritional additions, and yes, even a pharmaceutical prescription when absolutely necessary.
Naturopathic Doctors are the best doctors to help you end your relationship with chronic health concerns and conditions by using not only natural medicines, but natural programs that have been around for centuries. So, if you are ready to embrace better health through more natural ways using natural medicine, a Naturopathic Doctor may need to be your next stop. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your health goals.