Discover the wide range of health and longevity benefits that come from a balanced alkaline diet.
Many people don’t know that several of the foods we regularly eat have a negative effect on our alkaline body balance. The human body is naturally an alkaline environment, with a blood pH of 7.4 to 7.6. However, when we consume an overly acidic diet, we throw off our body’s healthy pH balance, causing us to become more susceptible for illness and disease. When our body’s normal pH balance becomes too acidic we expose ourselves to elevated risk of suffering from heart disease, diabetes arthritis, cancer, and other chronic diseases.
How to Control the Body’s pH Balance through Diet:
Fortunately, the human body is equipped with several mechanisms that work together to keep pH at an optimal level. Our organs are able to neutralize and eliminate excess acid from the body – but this ability has its limits. The best way to maintain an adequate acid-alkaline base within the body is to consume a healthy diet composed of at least 50-80% alkaline foods and limiting highly acidic foods.
The standard Western diet is generally high in acid- forming foods such as meat, dairy, corn, wheat, and refined sugars which overwhelm the body’s mechanisms for removing excess acid. At the same time, our diets are notably deficient in alkalizing foods such as fruits and vegetables.
Therefore, an overall healthy diet should consist mostly of alkaline foods:
- Vegetables – salad greens, cabbage, carrots, radish, watercress, turnip, garlic, squash, zucchini, cucumber, asparagus, onion, peas, chives, celery, kale
- Fruits – apple, bananas, berries, cantaloupe
- Seeds, nuts, and grains – pumpkin, sesame, flax, sunflower, pine nuts, almonds
- Natural fats and oils – olive, flax
- Drinks- water, herbal teas, fresh vegetable juices, non-sweetened soy milk
What can a Dieter Expect from Following a High Alkaline Diet?
There are many benefits to eating an alkaline diet:
- Improved energy levels
- Healthier teeth and gums
- Improved immune function
- Reduced pain and inflammation
- Lower risk of chronic diseases
- Protect the body against cancer and even help to cure it once it has developed
- Slower aging – better functioning cells when subjected to less acidic environment means a younger appearance for you
- Weight Management
Tips for Starting an Alkaline Diet:
The more you learn about how everything you’ve been doing up until now has caused an extremely acidic environment in your body can give you the motivation and determination to make some much needed diet and lifestyle changes.
- Get a list or chart that identifies foods as either alkaline or acidic (use it while grocery shopping)
- Drink plenty of pure water. This is vital for a number of reasons. The body needs enough water to properly function and metabolize stored fat in an efficient way. Key role in getting rid of excess weight, and also helps dilute salt to reduce retention.
- Search for delicious alkaline recipes
- Use herbs frequently to find creative and healthy ways to add flavors to your meals
- Drizzle on healthy oils (olive oil, grape seed oil, flax)
- Start slowly by gradually incorporating more alkaline foods into your regular diet
- Choose alkaline food combinations that you and your family already enjoy
Barley Grass *
Cabbage, lettuce fresh
Red beets, fresh
Soy Sprouts *
Fresh lemons and limes
Pine Nuts (raw)
Soy lecithin, pure*
Soy nuts (soaked from soy beans)*
Whey Protein Concentrate
FATS & OILS
Coconut Oil (raw)*
SPICES/SEASONINGS & SWEETENERS
Fresh Vegetable Juices
Herbal Green Tea
Natural Fruit Juices
Non-sweetened Soy milk
At the Holistic Healing Heart Center, Doctor Cynthia and her team of holistic primary care physicians provide one-stop shopping for all your health care needs. They provide primary care services and progressive heart disease treatment as well as integrative lifestyle programs to help you stay healthy and age gracefully.Often described as one of the best Los Angeles heart specialists, Dr. Cynthia is a holistic cardiologist and functional medicine doctor who will listen to you; ask questions about your lifestyle, environmental exposures, and genetic influences that may impact your health; and then provide thoughtful treatment recommendations, as described below.
- Preventive treatments including traditional, alternative, and naturopathic (acupuncture, homeopathy) remedies for medical conditions and heart disease.
- Wellness training including nutrition, weight loss, lifestyle management, and mindfulness.
- Rejuvenation services including iv nutritional therapy (Myers cocktail iv drip), bioidentical hormone therapy, non-invasive facial and cellulite laser treatment, non-surgical fat removal, SculpSure body contouring, and other aesthetics services.
As an experienced and trusted holistic primary care physician, functional medicine doctor and naturopathic cardiologist, Dr. Cynthia has been providing whole person health care to the residents of Burbank, Valencia, greater Los Angeles, and Southern California communities for more than 20 years.
In 2019, she is pleased to be joined by Dr. Barbara Rush, a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist, who specializes in Chelation & iv nutritional therapy, Anti-Aging, Environmental Medicine, Fertility and Natural Hormone Balance, all using the original Functional Medicine approach. Since 2005, DR. Rush has been in clinical practice, helping people with holistic and alternative medicine. Dr. Rush combines eclectic healing arts, steeped in ancient wisdom with the best evidence-based science to achieve balanced health for her patients. She takes the time to listen to patients, treating every person as individual so they receive a customized treatment plan that works best for them. Dr. Rush has joined the Holistic Healing Heart Center and is providing the best naturopathic medicine near me.
Call 818-842-1410 today to learn how the Holistic Healing Heart Center can help you prevent disease, stay healthy, and age gracefully.