Healthy Vegan Soup Recipe
Lentil & Quinoa Tomato Soup
By Brenda Morales
This tasty and nutritious vegan soup recipe is loaded with protein and fiber; perfect meal for the holidays.
Ready in approximately 55 minutes
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and cooked
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked
- 1 (28 oz) can organic diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of turmeric
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional: Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and spinach. Saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add turmeric, cumin and garlic, cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- Add in lentils, broth, water, sea salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a gentle boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add quinoa, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once done, remove from heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes, and season to taste.
- Serve and enjoy! (Optional: Garnish soup with chopped parsely)